Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Tad Nostalgic part I

1990, the year that everything seemed to 'kick off' I suppose. I was already watching movies prior to this (obviously), Monster Squad being one of the first movies I had ever seen (born in 1984 I would see it in 1987 when it was first released). But what really shaped my viewing experiences when it came to Horror movies was my mother, who would take me to see these films at the old Carmike in LaGrange on a regular basis. I got to thinking the other day about the late 80's/early 90's and all of the wonderful movies that I got to see as a child and decided to do a little bit of research. So, below are all of the movies that were released from 1990 to 1994 that changed my life. The list is quite long so you don't have to read all of them. All I ask is that you pay attention to how many AMAZING movies were released back then. It's no wonder I'm constantly feeling nostalgic for my childhood. Thanks to my mother I was able to see these movies in the theatre while all my other friends were forced to down giant heapings of Disney at home with their parents. Thanks mom! I'll start things off with 1990 and 1991 and over the next couple of days I'll move my way to 1994.


1990 (I was in Kindergarten when I saw the following films)


- The Willies (YES!!! I definitely had the URGE TO REGURGE!!!)
- Edward Scissorhands (LOVED this movie. I saw it at the old LaGrange theater)
- Home Alone
- Troll 2 (I LOVED the first one but number 2 is just phenomenal, really)
- Predator 2 (still remember renting this for the first time!)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Misery
- Jacob's Ladder
- Tremors (Good ole Kroger rental)
- The Witches (one of the scariest movies I had seen at the time!)
- Darkman
- Gremlins 2: The New Batch (rented this at Kroger with my brother)
- Tom Savigni's Night of the Living Dead
- Arachnophobia (John Goodman!! Woo Hoo!)
- Child's Play 2 (Kroger rental)
- Nightbreed
- Terminator II (Kroger rental)
- Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (Blockbuster rental)
- Tales from the Darkside: The Movie (Blockbuster rental)
- Graveyard Shift (Blockbuster rental)
- The Guardian (I was literally frightened for a month)
- Maniac Cop II (late night showing on HBO I believe)
- Basket Case II (fell in love with the effects and would later ask Santa for a makeup kit that showed you how to make eyeballs "pop out")
- The Gate II
- Puppet Master
- Stephen King's IT (my mom taped this on T.V. when it first aired and we would watch it together late at night after I got out of school)



1991 (First grade here I come!)


- Howling VI: The Freaks
- The People Under the Stairs
- Sometimes They Come Back
- Child's Play 3 (saw this at the old lagrange theater with mom)
- Silence of the Lambs
- Critters 3: You are What they Eat (Kroger rental with my grandmother)
- Critters 4: They're Invading Your Space (Next day rental with grandma)
- Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (Kroger rental)
- Naked Lunch
- Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead
- Nothing But Trouble
- Highway to Hell (late night Showtime or HBO I think)
- Ernest Scared Stupid (Changed my life)
- Subspecies (First taste of Full Moon!!)
- Dolly Dearest (Boy, oh boy, what a movie)
- Popcorn
- The Borrower
- Puppet Master II
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Secret of the Ooze

I know I'm probably forgetting several movies but most of these are from memory so I apologize if I'm leaving anything off.

No comments:

Post a Comment