Monday, March 15, 2010

In the Works: Animated Shorts of a...Hand?

Not that I need to add even MORE projects to my already overloaded table, but I just had to post this image today. The main idea I'm kicking around right now is to create these animated shorts based on the image you see here. The character's name is Lester Hobbs and yes, he has a hand for a head. Inspired by Alex Winters' over-the-top-gross-a-thon film, FREAKED, the animated shorts of Lester Hobbs will definitely be absurd, crude, eerie, hilarious, and all things bizarre. I owe a lot of the design to my almost 3 year old daughter, Paisley, who in an attempt to impress me last night asked to trace my hand on her magic erase board. The result? Well, in short, you're looking at it! I'm really excited about this project and I'm really hoping and praying that I have some extra time so I can get started on it. Questions, comments? Please feel free to ask away. And if you have some time please stop by Strange Kid's blog for a Brian Yuzna injection!

For those of you who haven't seen Freaked just watch the trailer below. This movie changed my life and seeing it at an early age was a definite factor in the style of my artwork. Everything I did had to have huge eyes, emaciated bodies, exposed, stained teeth and a LOT of pimples. Enjoy!:





1 comment:

  1. Great character concept! Freaked is one of my all-time favorite films, its just so... out there. The opening credits in particular with the morphing plasticine... simply amazing and totally 90s. Someone needs to bring that style back.

    ReplyDelete